Staying Vocabulary Lists
You must know the italicized, bold roots and their definitions each week.
THE CONTENTIOUS CHIROPODIST - List 6
Contentious - Contentious means quarrelsome and comes from Latin contendere, "to stretch or strain." The word tense has the same origin and obviously contentiousness results in tenseness.
Chiropodist - A doctor who treats problems and diseases of the feet; more commonly called a podiatrist. A chiropodist was originally someone who cared for the hands and feet, from the Greek chiro-, “hand” and pod-, “foot”. Those who use “divination by the hand” practice chiromanyc, and those doctors who use their hands to manipulate the spinal column are called chiropractors.
1. contentious quarrelsome
2. chiropodist foot doctor
3. chattel personal property
4. chided scolded
5. callous cruel, unfeeling
6. calumniate slander, bad-mouth
7. caustically sarcastically
8. censured disapproved, strongly criticized
9. caricature foolish imitation
10. centaur half man, half horse
11. churlishly rudely
12. connubial marital, matrimonial
13. chronic constant, habitual
14. compatible agreeable, harmonious
15. consummate complete, total
16. choleric irritable
17. conciliation agreement, pacification
Rothstein, Evelyn. Staying at the Top. Nyack, NY: ERA/CCR Corp, 1986.